Tissue engineering and tissue regeneration have become a promising approach e.g. to cure severe bone injuries. Artificial tissue grown from differentiable cells often needs to be formed in a very particular 3-dimensional shape for implantation. Bio scaffolds can serve as a cell growth environment for such artificial tissues, further supporting supply of the cells and removal of the metabolites. More here.
The BioScaffolder Bioprinter is a modular instrument platform with up to four independent z-axes for running several dispensing tools. It can print a variety of pasty materials (hydrogels and biopolymers e.g. collagen, alginate, bone cement paste, polymer paste etc.) with up to three cartridges and has a unique optional heat controlled piezoelectric micro-pipetting system for pico-litre and nano-litre spotting of cells, proteins and curing/hardening substances on certain coordinates within a scaffold structure.
The BioScaffolder bioprinter has an unique piezoelectric pipetting option which allows non-contact dispensing of small volumes of drops (pico- and nano-litre) typically of cell suspensions or protein solutions on predefined coordinates of a bio-scaffold layer immediately after printing of this layer. The piezoelectric pipettor aspirates from standard 96/384 well plates. Liquid volumes of a few micro-litres work with this system. Also the flexibility of the separate piezoelectric pipettor allows the application of different cells at selected positions of the scaffolds, difficult to achieve by the cartridge dispenser. The dispensed spots usually have sizes between 50 and 200 microns. They can be placed on a scaffold layer immediately after printing and before the next scaffold layer goes on top e.g. particular proteins can be printed or even cell suspensions at very low viscosity.
The combination of both technologies is quite new and unique to the BioScaffolder printer and not available on any other competitive 3D printer.
- Up to 4 individual lowering Z-axes for different tools
- Combine different sized syringes and needles for high quality printing of different materials
- Twin-tip piezo dispenser for mixing of droplets in flight, with control camera
- Pico- and nano-litre dispensing capability
- Print onto scaffold structures at well-defined locations
- Melt electro-spinning printing option for printing of tiny thermoplastic structures
- Unique core / shell tools:
- Print composed strands of different materials – soft cell core material and hard shell material
- Combine hard & soft materials in a co-axial manner
- High-temperature, high-power piston extruder for high viscoelastic polymers
- Peltier chiller for printing of hydrogels at low temperatures
- Temperature controlled building platform
Interested in the 3D BioScaffolder? Request a quote or call us on +44(0)1954 232 776 to discuss your requirements.